Thursday, December 18, 2014

Teacher Skills: Posing Questions



Posing Questions is a skill that every teacher needs to practice, practice, practice. There is no one "right" question, it is all about how you pose the question to the student to guide them in their own understanding of a concept.


 
One comment that I love to receive from principals is what a great job I do in posing questions to guide understanding.
 
How do I make this happen?
 
Let's think back to Bloom's Taxonomy for questioning.
 
Also Research Based questioning from teacher school gives us a greater insight to why this skill is important.
 
Here is a Marzano video about questioning and cues.
 
 
Here are some of my favorite higher level thinking questions:
  • Why do you think ....?
  • What would happen if ....?
  • Do you agree/disagree ...?
 
I always use "Why do you think ....?". It is an easy adaptive question for ANY situation. If a student asks me a question, I rephrase their question back to them using this format. It makes them look for the answer instead of the teacher "giving" them the answer they want.
 
Just practice, practice, practice and you will have higher level thinking students in no time!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment